Friday, October 7, 2011

Snickerdandies

My husband's (love that word!) favorite cookie is the snickerdoodle so I set out to find the perfect recipe for  them. I knew that in order to really fall in love with baking I would need to see people getting enjoyment from the end product. My last baking escapade ended with 5 loaves of inedible fruit loaves and years of jeering from my uncles! I wanted a "tried and true" recipe that had basic ingredients and was not extremely complicated for my baking impaired brain.



 I came across a blog that looked promising. Since than I have been hooked on The Brown Eyed Baker and have tried (and had success with) many of her recipes. She posted this recipe for Snickerdoodles and I modified it a bit with white chocolate chips. They turned out beautifully! They were the size of your palm, thick, and chewy like a cookie should be! After this recipe I started taking more pictures of the baking process (remember, it was summer, I was acquiring new hobbies!) I find it helps to be able to go back and look over what the steps look like in order to avoid the dreaded *lead loaves*. 



Recipe For Snickerdandies:

Adapted from The Brown Eyed Baker
Makes about 4 dozen

Ingredients:
2 ¾ cups flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar

1 tsp baking soda
¼ t. teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup sugar

½ cup brown sugar
2 eggs

1 ½ t. vanilla extract

1 ½ cups white chocolate chips
3 Tbs. sugar

1 Tbs. or more cinnamon

Process:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

3. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add the vanilla.

4. Gradually stir in the flour mixture, beating on low speed just until the flour is blended.

5. Stir in the white chocolate chips. (Do not use mixer for this step)

6. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. This helps the cookies to stay thick and not spread out and become crispy.

7. While the dough chills, mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.

8. Scoop 1-inch balls of dough and roll in the cinnamon and sugar mixture to coat.

9. Place on chilled cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and bake for 10 minutes.

10. 
Chill the dough between batches.



11. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack. Store cookies in an airtight container.





No comments:

Post a Comment