Saturday, January 28, 2012

Avocado Chicken Salad

Avocados, cilantro, lime, and chicken. Sounds like a party. After a long week at work I needed a party.  This chicken salad makes a wonderful light meal that even my husband (a huge chicken hater) enjoyed. Seeing as how it is January and everyone's New Years Resolution of eating healthy is still intact I knew I wanted to try this as soon as I saw it. Yes, I know avocados are fattening but they have the good kind of fat so I count this as healthy. :)


 Of course the original recipe came from pinterest. I am going to have to keep checking back to Becoming Betty to find more of her delish recipes. She serves her with pita chips but I always think a good chicken salad needs a crusty little roll from Wegman's. This is definitely one of my new favorites and I will be whipping it up a lot, especially this summer. The lime juice just makes it taste sunny.


I made this recipe the same night I got my first ever new DLSR camera. I had to start playing with photography a little. :) I just love the vibrant green colors of cilantro and creamy green of the avocado. I still need to work on lighting but I think the close ups came out beautiful.


This sandwich is very filling but you don't feel mopey after eating one (or two if you're my husband:) It would be perfect served with soup or a handful of salt and vinegar chips.

I kept the sauce lightly chunky by not scraping the bowl of the processor


Avocado Chicken Salad
There are no exact measurements for this recipe but I will guesstimate

1 1/2 ripe avocados
3 Tbs cilantro
2 Tbs onion (+more finely chopped to add at the end if you like chunky salad)
1 small garlic clove
juice of half a lime plus more for squeezing on top
1 Tbs mayo (you may need more to get a creamy texture depending on ripeness of avocados
3 small chicken breasts cooked and shredded
1 stalk celery super finely minced
salt and pepper

Blend all ingredients except chicken and celery in food processor until desired consistency. You can add more of any ingredients to get the right creaminess. Pour over shredded chicken and stir in celery, chicken, onion if desired. Stir until blended eat on a crusty roll. I squeezed extra lime over it once it was in the roll. I think next time I might add some heat with a jalapeno pepper blended in.

No comments:

Post a Comment